Cyprus.com

Facts about Cyprus


Area: 9,251 sq km
Capital: Nicosia
Language: Greek, Turkish
Currency: Euro
  Turkish Lira
Population: 784,301
Coastline: 648 sq km

Home > Going Out > Historical Place > Nicosia (South)

Historical Plances in Nicosia (South)

In Nicosia you can visit the Cyprus Museum which houses a priceless and fascinating collection of Cypriot antiquities.

There is also the Byzantine Museum and art galleries which has the largest collection of icons on the island, covering the period from 9th to the18th century. The Folk Art Museum has a wide collection of Cypriot folk art of the 19th and early 20th century.

Another interesting museum in Nicosia is the National Struggle Museum and also the Cyprus Handicraft Service.

Ayios Ioannis Cathedral was built by Archbishop Nikiforos in 1662 and has recently restored wall paintings.

Centre of the Cyprus Orthodox Church, the new Archbishopric built in a neo-Byzantine style in 1960, contains the private suite of the late Archbishop Makarios.

Within walking distance from the Archbishopric is Chrysaliniotissa Church. It is considered to be the oldest Byzantine church in Nicosia.

House of Hadjigeorgakis Kornessios, originally a Venetian Building, is probably the most important 18th century building in Nicosia.

Venetian walls completely encircle the old city of Nicosia. There were only three entrances through these walls, one of which been the Famagusta Gate. It has been restored and is now the Nicosia Municipal Cultural Centre.

Omeriyeh Mosque is believed to be the original 14th century Augustinian church of St. Mary's.

Built in I872 Phaneromeni Church used to be the largest church in Nicosia.

Tripiotis Church was built by Archbishop Germanos II in 1695 this is an interesting example of the Franco-Byzantine style.

Laiki Yitonia is a restored pedestrian area within the walled city, east of Eleftheria Square.

St. Paul's Anglican Cathedral Church is the parish church for Anglican residents.

The spacious Municipal Theatre, built in neo-classical style, was completed in 1967. It has a seating capacity of 1200 and is used for performances by the Cyprus Theatrical Organization.

Kykko Metochi is a pretty monastery that dates back to 1890.

Nicosia (North) Historical Places

Nicosia (South) Historical Places

Famagusta Historical Places

Guzelyurt Historical Places

Kyrenia Historical Places

Paphos Historical Places

Limassol Historical Places

Agia Napa Historical Places

Larnaca Historical Place

Home | About Us | Contact Us | Privacy Policy | Disclaimer |